- Member of the Editorial Board of Written Language and Literacy, Journal of Child Language
(1996-2005), The Mental Lexicon
- Series editor of Trends in Language Acquisition Research (TILAR) together with A. De Houwer (1996 -
- PhD's: Currently (co-)supervising:
- Michele Pettinato: Stress and rhythm in early speech productions of hearing and congenitally
children with a cochlear implant: A longitudinal study.
- Nathalie Boonen: Identifiability and intelligibility of the speech of hearing impaired
using a cochlear implant
- Giovanni Cassani: Bootstrapping operations in language acquisition: A computational
- Robert Grimm: Bootstrapping operations in language acquisition: A computational
- Pietro Nurzia Artificial hearing: Neural networks and the acoustic identifiability of
with cochlear implants
- De Pauw, G. (2002). An agent-based evolutionary computing approach to memory-based syntactic
parsing of natural language. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Taelman, H. (2004). Syllable omissions and additions in Dutch child language: an inquiry into
function of rhythm and the link with innate grammar. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Kloots, H. (2005). Vowel reduction in Standard Dutch as spoken in Flanders and The
University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Schauwers, K. (2006). Early speech and language development in deaf children with a cochlear
implant: a longitudinal investigation. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Verbist, A. (2010). The acquisition of personal pronouns in cochlear-implanted children.
Universiteit Leiden, Leiden.
- Hammer, A. (2010). The acquisition of verbal morphology in cochlear-implanted and specific
language impaired children. Universiteit Leiden, Leiden.
- Herzberg, O. (2010). Early morphosyntactic and lexical development in young hearing impaired
Hebrew speaking children with cochlear implants compared to normally hearing peers. University of
Antwerp & Tel Aviv University.
- Molemans, I. (2011). Sounds like babbling. A longitudinal investigation of aspects of the
prelexical speech repertoire in young children acquiring Dutch: normally hearing children and
hearing-impaired children with a cochlear implant. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Van Severen, L. (2012). A large-scale longitudinal survey of consonant development in
spontaneous speech. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- van den Berg, R. (2012). Syllables inside out. A longitudinal study of the development of
syllable types in toddlers acquiring Dutch: a comparison between hearing impaired children with a
cochlear implant and normally hearing children. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Oydis Hide (2014). Acoustic features of speech by young cochlear implant users: A comparison
normal-hearing and hearing-aided age mates. University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- Orit Ashkenazi (2015). Input-output relations in the early acquisition of the Hebrew verb:
Resolving a learning problem. University of Antwerp & Tel Aviv University.
- Liesbeth Vanormelingen (2016). Are you talking to me? Child-directed speech and language
development: hearing children of different SES backgrounds and deaf children with a cochlear
- Jolien Faes (2017). Speech production and speech production accuracy in young children:
and hearing impaired children with a cochlear implant.
- De Clerck, I. (2018).. Prosodic development in canonical babble and first words of cochlear
implanted and normally hearing infants: An acoustic and perceptual study.
- Vice-chair of the Research Council ('Onderzoeksraad') of the University of Antwerp (2004-2012)
- Chair of the Ethics Committee for Social Sciences and Humanities (EASHW) (2012 - present)
- Member of the expert panel on Linguistics of the FWO (Flemish Fund for Scientific Research) (2010 - 2015)
- Chair of the expert panel on Linguistics of the FWO (Flemish Fund for Scientific Research) (2014 - 2015)
- Advisory member of the interdisciplinary expert panel of the FWO (Flemish Fund for Scientific Research)
- Member of the Steering Committee, member of the Plenary Panel, and chair of the subpanel "Linguistics" of
VABB-SHW ("Flemish Academic Bibliographic Archive") (2009-2017)
- Chair of the VABB-SHW ("Flemish Academic Bibliographic Archive") (2017-present)
- Member of the "Flemish Committee for Scientific Integrity" (Vlaamse Commissie voor Wetenschappelijke
Integriteit, VCWI) (2013 - present)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Instituut voor Nederlandse Lexicologie ('Institute for Dutch
- Member of the Subcommittee Research ('Werkgroep Onderzoek') of the VLIR ('Vlaamse Interuniversitaire
Raad', Flemish Inter University Council) (2003-2008)
- Member of the Academia Europaea, the Academy of Europe of Humanities, Letters and Sciences